All of your active mailboxes such as users, shared mailboxes, distribution groups, etc. should be added to Proofpoint ahead of the setup. This can be done by importing a list of your mailboxes from a CSV file.
Proofpoint will only accept a CSV file with the following columns. No header row is required.
|Primary Email Address
|Mobile Phone Number
- Each data field must be separated by a comma
- Each individual mailbox must be separated by a new row / line
- All data fields entered after the mobile number will be considered aliases
- The mobile number column is required, but the value may be empty if 2FA for users is turned off
- A valid mobile number must include an international prefix and no other non-numeric characters
This is an example:
Export Mailbox List From Google
- Log into the Google Admin Console (https://admin.google.com/) using an administrator account
- In the menu (three horizontal bars), navigate to Directory > Users
- At the top of the Users list, click on Download Users
- When prompted, choose to download a list of all users as a CSV file
- Delete any unnecessary columns so that Proofpoint will accept the CSV's format
Import Mailboxes Into Proofpoint
- In Proofpoint, navigate to User Management > Import & Sync > CSV Import
- On this page, choose if you would like to import these mailboxes as End Users or Silent Users
- End Users will receive a welcome email and access to the Proofpoint portal, while Silent Users will not.
- Click Choose File to retrieve your CSV of mailboxes, then click Upload
Convert Non-Users to Functional Accounts
Any imported mailboxes will appear in the Proofpoint user list by default. If any of these are things like shared mailboxes / distribution groups and shouldn't count as active users, these can be converted to functional accounts through the following steps: